Sunday, January 9, 2011

Respite and Refuge in Vintage TV

    US Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) and nineteen other people were shot at a meet and greet near Tuscon yesterday. A nine year old girl and a federal judge perished. Why? A disgruntled, disturbed person for reasons not yet discerned took a gun and started shooting. Rep. Giffords is in critical condition, but is expected to live.
    My mother in law is back in the hospital with another infection. This time, it's in her kidneys.
    As you read in an earlier post, adopting Sparkle fell through. One correction: it's not the EPI as feared, but they still don't know what's going on.
    A case of the flu I've tried to fight off for the better part of the week made a surprise attack this morning and cut me off at the knees.
     There's some consolation, however. Antenna TV launched over New Year's weekend. It's a substation owned by the Tribune company. Movies, sitcoms I couldn't watch in my adolescence, all there. So I've been drowning my sorrows in my role model, "Maude," and lifting my spirits on the politically incorrect wings of "Benny Hill" and "The Three Stooges."
     It's delicious, sort of like triple chocolate cake for the soul. Only it doesn't settle on the hips and thighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment