Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Viruses

Gentle Readers, forgive my absence the last four weeks--YIKES.
We have been embroiled in battles against the forces of evil playing out in our sinuses and on my laptop. The Spouse succumbed first; no knight had ever fought so valiently to keep his lady from such dragons. Despite his best efforts, I, too, was smote fore and aft by saidsame enity.
In the middle of all this, I amused myself by researching topics on line. As I visited an organic dairy farm's website, the Adobe logo popped up unbidden. I tried to escape, but couldn't. My laptop suddenly became sluggish and the screen started to melt.
The Spouse, the technical half of our team, swooped in. After twelve hours of downloading, deleting, debugging and cursing, he had it back up and running better than new. A hassle, yes. But nothing to him as a person of technology.
For me, I wondered if that was was getting mugged felt like. The virus encamped in my upper respiritory tract had drained me enough. That one had just evolved on its own as its nature dictated. The one on my computer had been deliberately created for the sake of meanness. I couldn't hate the one triggering off the endless bouts of coughing and sneezing. I hope to forgive the creator of the one that nailed my laptop someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment