Friday, July 3, 2009

Two Thoughts: Michael Jackson and Indie Artists

Well, do I want to write two blogs about what's on my mind today, or just one? The sun and modest temperatures beckon while the dog paces, so I shall content myself with one.

The first mind is that of the b.s. surrounding Michael Jackson's death:

  • Reports from an hour ago say that Diprovan, an anesthetic, was found in his home.
  • The funeral's been scheduled for Tuesday at the Staples Center in L.A. Perfect setting for an intimate farewell from family, friends, and anyone who scores tickets (yes, they are passing out tickets). Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are reported to be conflicted over who will do which part of the service.
  • God, my immediate circle, and I are among the few entities who have not filed suits against the Jackson estate.
  • Note to self: pledge to public broadcasting next drive. They, too, have covered the story, but with the class and dignity they're known for.

The second is that in praise and support of independent artists:

  • While they do much of their own marketing, the music always comes first.
  • We need diverse voices, not just the flavor of the month in the too frequently vapid top-40 stars. No disrespect intended, but I honestly can't tell Kelly Clarkson from anyone else out there. Again, not to be mean, but no contestant on "American Idol" has ever made me want to part with $14.99.
  • There's so much talent out there that deserves support. Much of what goes on "American Idol" has more to do with marketability than actual talent.

Let me get some more info together and we'll see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment