Tuesday, June 2, 2009

This TIme It's Personal: AF 447

How does an Airbus 330 disappear? It sounds like a Vegas magic act.
Unfortuantely, it wasn't. Yesterday, Paris-bound Air France flight 447 went down in the Atlantic Ocean not long after its departure from Rio, taking out over 200 passengers and crew. This morning, flaming fuel and debris mark the spot where it likely fell into the water.
I knew no one personally on the plane. The airline, however, I knew.
Three years ago, I made my first overseas trip to France. The weekend I flew back coincided with the last big terrorist scare at Heathrow. Amid the tangle of flight delays and security back ups, the Air France agents checked tickets and moved people with called flights to the head of lines. Once boarded, the flight crew went the extra mile to salve the aggrevations of the day with extra courtesy and kindness.
Were any of them on yesterday's flight? I'll never know. I hope not. But I know that they handled the last moments with as much class as could be mustered.

No comments:

Post a Comment